Frequently Asked Questions

Registration and Grades

Will Southern Crescent Technical College classes transfer?

Transfer of Southern Crescent Technical College credit to another college or university is at the discretion of the receiving institution. Usually courses will transfer to another technical college with a grade of “C” or better. The degree level core classes (190 or above) will usually transfer to University System of Georgia institution. Students should check with the receiving institution to determine the courses that will be accepted from Southern Crescent.

What classes will Southern Crescent Technical College transfer from another college?

A student who has previously attended a college or university may request an evaluation of an official transcript for the purpose of awarding transfer credit. The Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form is located in the Admissions Office and is available for download here. Credits from regionally accredited colleges or universities may transfer if the course is of the same content and length of the course required in the Southern Crescent Tech program. A grade of “C” or better is required to transfer a course. A course description may be required. Medical courses and some others have a transfer life of five years. Once the transcript is evaluated, a letter is mailed to the student. The credits are posted to the student’s academic record using a grade of “TR” which is not calculated into the cumulative grade point average (GPA) at Southern Crescent Tech.

What is the procedure to be a transient student at another college?

Southern Crescent Technical College students who plan to complete courses at another institution must complete and submit a signed Transient Request form. The form is located in the Admissions Office or available for download here. Students must follow the admission requirements for the host college. Students planning to take online courses at another technical college in Georgia may apply online through the Georgia Virtual Technical College (GVTC) website at Students should follow the GVTC directions carefully. The Transient Request Form may be printed from the GVTC website. Students must have satisfactorily completed at least one credit course from Southern Crescent Technical College and must be in good standing. Authorization is granted only for courses that will transfer to the student’s current program of study. A grade of “C” or better is required for courses to transfer.

What is the procedure to be a transient student at Southern Crescent Technical College?

An applicant seeking admission as a transient student at Southern Crescent Technical College must submit an application and pay a non-refundable $20 application fee. A transient letter from the home school is required stating the student is in good academic standing. The letter should list the term and the course(s) the student desires to take. Transient students enroll on a space-available basis.

What is the procedure to apply as a special admit student at Southern Crescent Technical College?

A student who does not wish to seek a diploma, degree, or certificate program may apply as a special admit student. An application and a non-refundable $20 application fee are required. Official college transcripts from all colleges attended must be submitted. The applicant must meet course prerequisites. Special admit students are placed in courses on a space-available basis. Financial Aid is not available for Special Admit Students. Any credits earned as a special admit student in excess of 25 will not later count toward a certificate, diploma or degree.

What is the procedure to have a transcript sent to another college?

A student may complete a Transcript Release Authorization form to have his/her transcript released. The Transcript Release form is located in the Admissions Office and is available for download here. Transcripts will not be released if there is a financial hold on the student’s record. Transcript Release Forms may be faxed to (770) 229-3227 (Griffin Campus) or (706) 646-6063 (Flint River Campus). Faxed release forms must be accompanied with a copy of the student’s photo ID. The transcript fee is $3 per transcript. The first transcript is free with regular processing. The transcript fee for transcripts needed within one business day is $5 per transcript. Students may call the Business Office at (770) 228-7275 to pay the transcript fee with a credit card. Allow 5 business days for regular processing, 15 business days at the end of the term.

What is the name of the accreditation agency for Southern Crescent Technical College?

Southern Crescent Technical College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Specific program accreditations and certifications are listed in the Southern Crescent Technical College catalog.

What is the procedure to receive an enrollment or degree verification?

The National Student Clearinghouse is Southern Crescent Technical College’s authorized agent for providing degree and enrollment verifications. Loan companies, employers, etc. may request this information from the National Student Clearinghouse at (or directly at Students may also complete an Enrollment Verification Request form located in the Admissions Office.

How do students apply to graduate?

All students who expect to graduate must complete a Degree/Diploma/Certificate Graduation Application. The application must be signed by the academic advisor and must be submitted prior to the student’s last academic term. A student who applies to graduate after the fiscal year of his/her graduation will be provided an official transcript, but will be charged a $25 fee to have his/her degree, diploma or certificate printed. Diploma and degree students who plan to attend the graduation ceremony must pay a $35 graduation fee when the application is submitted. Graduation applicants must meet all academic and financial obligations prior to graduation. Diplomas and degrees may be picked up in the Admissions Office or may be sent by certified mail for a $10 fee.

How long does it take to award the degrees, diplomas and certificates each quarter? 

It takes approximately 4-6 weeks to complete the award process. Certificates are printed each term and will be available within six - eight weeks after completion.

How is the Grade Point Average (GPA) calculated?

The grade point average (GPA) is calculated based on all credit courses taken at Southern Crescent Technical College. GPA is calculated by (1) multiplying the credits for each course by the grade points associated with the grade earned, (2) totaling the points earned for all courses, and (3) dividing the total points by the total number of credits attempted. The assigned values for the grades are A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, and F and WF = 0. In calculating a GPA, credit hours from courses receiving the following grades are not included: AC, AU, EX, I, IP, S, TR, U, or W.


Grade              Grade              Credit              Total
Earned             Points              Hours              Points
A                     4          X         5          =          20
C                     2          X         3          =          6    
8                      26                   
26 / 8 = 3.25  GPA  

Special Services

What is Special Services program?

A program that provides equal access to recruitment, enrollment, career services activities, and a full range of technical education programs and activities.

What services does this program provide?

Admissions and Career Counseling, Assessments – Career Scope and COMPASS, Lending Library, Mentoring Program, Support Group Meetings, Life Management Workshops, and community resource referrals

Can Adult Ed students participate?

Yes.  Services are provided for adult students as they are referred by instructors and/or other college staff members.

Do you have money for child care or transportation?

The program does not have financial support other than resources accessed from referrals to community agencies and programs.

What financial assistance can your program provide?  


Who is eligible for your program?

Students with disabilities, individuals from economically disadvantaged families including foster children, single parents, displaced homemakers (divorced or widowed), Limited English Proficient students (English not native language), and non-traditional students (male nurses/female truck drivers).

Where is the Special Populations office located?  

Griffin Campus Room 303 and Flint River Campus Room A415.

Do I have to schedule an appointment to talk with you?

Walk-ins are welcomed, but appointments preferred.

Can you conduct a workshop for my program or class?

Yes contact the Special Services Team.

How can a student enroll?

Referrals made by self, instructors, or college staff members.

Stay Connected

Follow us on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

Contact us

Griffin Campus - (770) 228-7348
Flint River Campus - (706) 646-6148
Butts County Center - (770) 504-7590
Henry County Center - (770) 914-4411
Jasper County Center - (706) 468-9930
Taylor County Center - (478) 862-2276

    © 2015, Southern Crescent Technical College | 501 Varsity Road | Griffin, GA 30223 | Webmaster